Friday, September 18, 2015

4 x 2 =3.5 + 5" = 4.75"sqare

Only a quilter will get that you sew together 4 2" squares to have a 3.5" square. As invited to do so several months ago by Edyth Sitar, and that is what I have been using as my L/E's. I have been using my aged colourwash squares, which I have have added to over the years, or have been gifted, or have bought others at guild garage sales. I am getting a bit of a stack and what to do with them?

To this you add 4 triangles cut from a single 5"square to your 3.5" square and


 ...ta da...it is sewn back together as a 4.75" square. And yes, I know it is nothing but bias outside edges, but this is where Mary Ellen's Best Press is saving my day.


I have been in several 6" and 5" scrap swaps over my 30+ years of quilting, and it is now time to clean out that bin. As you will confirm, some of these are really 'vintage' fabrics.


I played with settings for a while, I think I love this 'seminole' setting between two spacing bars. Though this Jinny Beyers is too dark.

And this grey is too wimpy...


I have unearthed a few more choices and think I have found the one that will work for me. Stand by for the final reveal. It is time to sew up this stash!

But in the meantime, I am getting ready to head to Scotland with CelticQuilt Tours. Be back online and on topic (scrap quilting) in October.
Love and hugs
Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Oh really nice blocks--very vintage and sweet...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete